Photo by @mycurlyadventures_
Photo by @fashncurious
When working in a creative industry or having a creative hobby it is important to stay inspired and motivated. Creative industries are always changing so there needs to be something that is able to spark new ways of thinking in your life. Some people have the gift of new ideas always popping into their head without prompting, but for me I also have a pretty analytical side to me that can cause me to get into a creative rut from time to time. To get out of these ruts I try to draw inspiration and motivation from some outside sources. If you’re anything like me and sometimes need a little boost to stay inspired, I am sharing 3 things that keep me inspired and 2 things that help motivate me.
- Reading fashion blogs: I don’t read other blogs to find exact pieces I want to purchase but when I am running out of ways to pair together current pieces in my closet, I will look to bloggers to see if I can find inspiration on how to put together a new outfit. If I don’t have time to read a whole post, I also make sure to follow a few of my favorite style bloggers on Instagram.
- Podcasts: I recently started listening to podcasts because my lengthy commute. A lot of times I listen for entertainment but I also love it when there are guests who work in creative industries on them. While I know I can’t replicate someone else’s journey, listening to the variety of ways people found their niche helps me stay inspired with new ways to approach my own creative aspirations.
- Attending blog events: I am a member of Style Collective which has given me the opportunity to go to some events full of inspiration. Just yesterday I attended a lunch where I got to listen to the stylist at a local Banana Republic. In the past I have also been able go to things like StyleCon.
- Watching the vlogs of lifestyle youtubers: The actual lifestyle videos some youtubers create don’t necessarily motivate me because I feel like they are often targeted at a younger audience, but I do enjoy watching vlogs for some motivation. I don’t sit there for hours on end watching other people live their lives, however watching a couple 10 minute vlogs that showcase what some of these girls are able to do with their platforms gives me an extra boost of “wow! I should do more!”.
- Vision Board: I don’t currently have a physical board. I have a pinterest board called “aspirations“. I use this as a way to visualize the lifestyle I want to live which gives me motivation to keep working towards that life.